Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

My Present for My Mother for Mother's Day

I am sure many of us buy presents for our parents on Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and on their birthdays. But, do you really take the trouble to buy a present that they really need?

For this year’s Mother’s Day, I am very proud to say that I bought a present for my mom that she really needs. My mom has been complaining that her feet hurt whenever she has to walk for some period of time, especially after an outing with us.

I decided to buy her a new pair of sandals but I needed to make sure that they fit her. So, last Sunday, after our grocery shopping, I took her to a shoe shop and ask her to try some of the sandals there. She tried a few pairs and there was one pair that she really liked. She said it was very comfortable and it fit her feet very well but she did not let me buy the sandals after looking at the price. Even when I tried to convince her, she was very adamant about it. So we left without buying the sandals.

On Friday after work, I went to the shoe shop and bought the sandals and gave them to her. She scolded me for buying the sandals and I told her since I already bought the sandals, she has to accept them. I told her to wear them the next day as we were going to the Buddhist temple for the Wesak Day prayers. She was still complaining about me buying her such an expensive pair of sandals although it was only RM80.00. But I could see that she like the sandals because she showed them to my sisters and she did not want to take off the sandals to go into the temple for the blessing ceremony as she was afraid that someone will steal them.

Most of us, I think would not hesitate to buy a pair of shoes that we like for ourselves without thinking about the cost. But for my mother, she will really think long and hard before she will buy a pair of shoes that only cost RM19.90, which is the cost of the most expensive pair of shoes she bought for herself. I think it is because of all the hardships that she had endured in her life especially having to bring up six children.

I hope that by sharing this story, you all will really put more thought in the presents that you buy for your parents. It is not the value (or cost) of the present but how much thought you put into getting the present. I know people say it is the thought that counts, so make sure the thought really counts!

No comments: